Palma De Mallorca Airport (PMI) History
Palma de Mallorca Airport ( IATA: PMI, ICAO: LEPA), also known as Son Sant Joan Airport, was constructed in the 1920s when seaplanes were flying through the airport to provide postal services to the other Balearic Islands. Later in the 1830s, the airport began serving civil flights to other parts of Spain.
In 1938, the airport started its operation as a military base. Later in 1954, the expansion of the Mallorca Airport allowed to serve more airlines and to increase its capacities. New taxiways and aprons were added, as well as the extended asphalted runway.
The increased traffic led to the higher demand for the new terminal which was built in 1958. Meanwhile, the airport started to operate as the airbase for the civilian flights back in 1960, when the new terminal was officially opened to domestic and international traffic.
In 1965 a new terminal was constructed as the existing one was not handling the overall traffic of passengers well enough. For the moment of 1962, the airport has reached a 1 million passengers traffic for the first time. In 1965 the plan for the new terminal, which is now the terminal B, was stated. After the passengers' traffic reached a 2 million scale in 1965, a second runway construction plan was established as well. The construction of the runway parallel to the initial one was started in 1970 and finished by 1974. The Terminal B started its operation in 1972.
After the passengers' traffic has reached a 7 million scale in 1980 and over 10 million in 1986, the new terminal started to be constructed in mid-1993 and was ready for the opening in 1997. Now the terminal is responsible for hosting both entrance and exit of passengers in and out of the airport, check-ins, and luggage claims.
After the September 11 attack in 2001, the passengers' traffic was growing steadily reaching 23.2 million people during the period from 2002 until 2007. However, after 2007 the traffic started to decrease, reaching 21.1 million passengers in 2010.